Moving the Historic Schriber House
May 28, 2016
8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Currently located at 1428 Algoma Boulevard, the historic Schriber house will be moved one block north and across the street to an empty corner lot at the intersection of Algoma and Arboretum Drive. The Paine Art Center and Gardens will build a handicapped accessible parking lot on the vacated property, which is adjacent to the entrance to the property’s historic mansion.
One year ago the Paine announced that it would sell the house for $1 to an entity with a viable proposal for moving it. The availability of the house was featured in This Old House magazine which generated dozens of inquiries from across the country. Ultimately, the successful proposal came from a family with a long history of moving houses in Wisconsin.
The house will be moved by three siblings, David and Jason DeVooght and Tammie DeVooght Blaney. David and Jason operate DeVooght House & Building Movers, a company established by their late father Don which has moved houses in Wisconsin and across the country for the past fifty years. Tammie DeVooght Blaney is the Executive Director of the International Association of Structural Movers, a trade organization with more than 385 members world-wide.
The DeVooght’s will move the house in three stages. First, the house will be lifted, rolled forward, and rotated 90 degrees on its current property. Next, on Saturday, May 28, the house will be moved on Algoma Boulevard and rotated at the intersection of Arboretum before being rolled onto the new property. Finally, the house will be lowered onto the new foundation.
Moving the huge house is an ambitious undertaking. Its enormous weight will require tremendous support to lift and distribute the brick structure’s 200 tons. More than 65 tons of steel and 3,600 oak crib blocks will be used. The house will be lifted with 30 hydraulic jacks that are each able to lift 15 tons.
David DeVooght says, “The specialized jacking system we’re using is one of only nine that exist in the world.” The house will be moved on 14 dollies with 8 wheels each, totaling 112 wheels. DeVooght adds, “This house will be the first-ever structure in the state of Wisconsin to be moved completely via hand-held remote control.”
Built in 1912, the house was designed by the firm of Oshkosh architect William Waters, who designed the Wisconsin Pavilion at the 1893 world’s fair in Chicago as well as dozens of buildings in Oshkosh around the turn of the century. The house was built for the family of Louis Schriber, then president of the city’s First National Bank.
Aaron Sherer, Executive Director of the Paine, says, “We are thrilled that the DeVooghts are moving the Schriber house. It’s a special piece of Oshkosh’s architectural history and will continue to adorn Algoma Boulevard in its new location.” Once the house is moved, the Paine will begin work on the new parking lot, which will have 25 parking spaces, including handicapped accessible parking.
Jason Lasky, President of the Paine’s Board of Trustees, states, “Offering safe and accessible parking for visitors of all ages and abilities is a top priority. The parking lot will enable the Paine to better serve the community for generations to come.”
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Paine Art Center and Gardens is an estate with a 1920’s mansion surrounded by three-acres of gardens, located in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. The Paine offers tours of the house and gardens, changing art exhibitions, and a variety of educational programs and community events.
For more information and updates visit: